- Premium Australian -
• Gluten Free
• Non GMO
Having been harvested for 8,000 years, sorghum is considered to be an ancient grain. Though it was first collected in Egypt, our sorghum comes from the fertile growing regions of the Darling Downs and Northern NSW, sourced from the best crops for the finest quality and sustainable farming practices.
As an alternative to whole grain, sorghum is known for its health benefits. As one of the only grains with an edible hull, sorghum retains lots of nutrients. It is high in natural antioxidants, protein and iron, provides a good source of vitamins and minerals.
Baking with Sorghum Flour:
Sorghum flour is very versatile and can be used in many recipes. It is often used in cakes, breads and muffins. It can be used to replace wheat flour in recipes 1:1 ratio though it may be best used in combination with other alternative flours such as rice flour, tapioca flour or maize flour.
Cooking Instructions for Sorghum Bread:
• 1 cup sorghum flour • 1 cup brown rice flour
• 1 cup tapioca starch • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1 tbsp xanthan gum • 4 eggs or egg replacer
• 1 tbsp instant yeast • 1 tbsp sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon salt • 200 mL water
• 1 teaspoon vinegar
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan forced).
2. Spray or grease a bread tin.
3. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add eggs, oil, water, and vinegar and mix on low speed for 5 minutes.
5. Put the dough into a bread tin and bake for 50-55 minutes.
6. Remove from oven when baked and cool on a wire rack before eating.