- Premium Australian -
White Maize Flour
• Gluten Free
• Non GMO
Maize was first domesticated 9,000 years ago. It was the most important staple of the Aztec Empire and was personified as a god by the Mayans. Our Maize Flour comes from the Riverina, NSW, where fertile alluvial soils pair with an abundance of water making it one of the most productive farming regions in Australia.
Maize flour is produced by milling the entire kernel, whereby retaining the fibre, protein and vitamins. Maize flour is naturally a good source of fibre and rich in antioxidants, vitamin B and omega 6, making it a great alternative to wheat flour.
Baking with Maize Flour:
Maize flour is very popular in Mexican recipes, particularly in tortillas and cornbreads, and can be used as a substitute for wheat flour in most recipes. Maize flour works well in combination with other gluten free flours in breads and cakes, cookies and as a batter.
Cooking Instructions for Gluten Free Scones:
• 2 cups white maize flour • 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt • 2 tbsp butter
• 1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Combine white maize flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
3. Cut in butter and mix well while slowly adding the milk.
4. Turn onto a floured board and knead for one minute.
5. Form dough into balls on baking tray and press down to form circles.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
7. Remove from oven when baked and cool on a wire rack before eating.